Monday, October 14, 2013

October in Oxford

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
-Lucy Maud Montgomery 

I have always reveled in the particular joys of Fall. Last Sunday, as Monica and I were riding bikes to Liturgy, (riding in a skirt is not as difficult and necessarily indecent as one would think) I said, "I wish I had a word to describe this feeling right now. Joy, elation ... none of those words seem to do; they are too broad of words. This joy is very particular to Fall." So, I made a new word, a word to capture that very specific sentiment: Foy. 

Spending October in Oxford has supplied many moments of pure "foy". Rather than relaying all of these joys in word, I will do so in image:

The following photos are from last weekend. We were graced by the company of Kailey, a friend from my home land who is currently studying in London. She was a delight to have along for the adventures. (Aren't her pants so cool?)

The day began with an extended walk in Port Meadow, along the River Thames. Here are some of the creatures we met along the way:

P.s. I love this photo of Stephanie (Stine)







I have uncovered an affinity for snails. I find them so adorable. 


Yes, BBC.





The Pritt River Museum. 


I could not pass up taking a photo of one of the things I find most beautiful: 
(Thank you, Flannery O' Conner)








Within the 'Eagle and Child':



Monica contemplating something deep as usual.




I have beautiful friends, do I not?



Our day concluded with a beautiful Evensong service at Christ Church. A definite highlight of our time here thus far. The choir was "out of this world".



And thus concludes Day 1.

Following Liturgy on Sunday, a Professor from Eastern (who is also Orthodox and was at Liturgy) most graciously and generously treated Monica and I to lunch. We had a delightful time and the food was delicious. What a treat.

The next set of photos were taken at the annual "Apple Day" in a neighboring town of Oxford. The event appropriately included all things "apple-y". Apple picking, apple tasting, apple bobbing, etc. Oh and there were also blueberries and a jazz band. ...?



My failed attempt to procure an apple high up in the tree.











If you look very carefully, there is a snail on this apple. It is likely the most adorable little creature I have ever laid my eyes on. His name is Pippin, or Pip for short.



After the Apple Day festivities we made our way to 'The Perch', a local pub.











 The evening concluded in our weekly Sunday night "family dinner". On the menu that night: shepherd's pie (complete with lamb, veggies and mashed potatoes) with pineapple for dessert and some cider to follow. On the menu last night: sweet potato french toast, hash browns (made with potatoes from the local Oxford farmers market) and some very strong OJ. 

(Monica is missing from this photo, but yes, she is a part of the family.)

And thus concludes 0 and 00 week (also called nought week). As of today, we are entering into full term. I had my first primary tutorial this morning and will have my secondary next Monday. 

Happy October, all!





2 comments:

  1. I MISS OXFORD.

    I'm so glad you were able to take all these lovely photos, Madds.
    Just one more way in which you are indispensable to me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete